The 2024 Volkswagen Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport are the latest additions to the German automaker’s SUV lineup. These two models offer spacious interiors, powerful engines, advanced technology and sleek design. Whether you are looking for a family-friendly seven-seater or a sporty five-seater, the Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport have something for everyone.
What’s New for 2024?
The Atlas and Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport have been updated for 2024 with some notable changes. Here are some of the highlights:
- New front and rear design: The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport feature a new grille, headlights, taillights and bumpers that give them a more aggressive and modern look. The new LED headlights and taillights are standard on all trims and provide better visibility and style. The new bumpers also increase the length of the vehicles by about three inches, making them more imposing on the road.
- New wheel options: The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport offer a variety of new wheel options, ranging from 18 to 21 inches in size. The new wheels have different designs and finishes, depending on the trim level. Some of the new options include a machined face with black accents, a two-tone silver and black finish, and a glossy black finish.
- New interior features: The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport have upgraded their interiors with new materials, colors and technology. The new features include a leather-wrapped steering wheel, contrast stitching, wireless charging, a 10.25-inch digital cockpit, and a Fender premium audio system. The new colors include a dark burgundy leather and a black and brown leather combination.
- New safety and driver assistance features: The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport have added some new safety and driver assistance features to their already impressive list. The new features include traffic jam assist, dynamic road sign display, park assist 3.0, and a semi-autonomous mode called Travel Assist. These features help the driver navigate congested roads, park with ease, and maintain a safe distance and speed on the highway.
What’s the Same for 2024?
The Volkswagen Atlas and Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport have retained some of their best features from the previous model year. Here are some of the things that have not changed:
- Engine options: The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport offer two engine options: a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and a 3.6-liter V6. The four-cylinder engine produces 235 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, while the V6 engine produces 276 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque. Both engines are paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission and can be equipped with either front-wheel drive or 4Motion all-wheel drive.
- Fuel economy: The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport have similar fuel economy ratings, depending on the engine and drivetrain configuration. The four-cylinder engine with front-wheel drive has an EPA-estimated rating of 21 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway, while the V6 engine with front-wheel drive has an EPA-estimated rating of 17 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. The four-cylinder engine with all-wheel drive has an EPA-estimated rating of 20 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway, while the V6 engine with all-wheel drive has an EPA-estimated rating of 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway.
- Cargo space: The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport have generous cargo space, especially when the rear seats are folded down. The Atlas has 20.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row, 55.5 cubic feet behind the second row, and 96.8 cubic feet behind the first row. The Atlas Cross Sport has 40.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row and 77.8 cubic feet behind the first row.
How Do They Compare to the Competition?
The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport face some tough competition in the midsize SUV segment. Here are some of the rivals that they have to contend with:
|Fuel Economy (City/Highway)
|2024 Volkswagen Atlas
|2.0L Turbo I4
|96.8 cu ft
|2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport
|2.0L Turbo I4
|77.8 cu ft
|2024 Honda Pilot
|83.9 cu ft
|2024 Ford Explorer
|2.3L Turbo I4
|87.8 cu ft
|2024 Toyota Highlander
|84.3 cu ft
|2024 Hyundai Palisade
|86.4 cu ft
As you can see, the Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport have some advantages and disadvantages over their competitors. The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport have lower base prices, more torque, and more cargo space than most of their rivals. However, they also have less horsepower, lower fuel economy, and less passenger space than some of their rivals. Ultimately, the choice depends on your personal preferences and needs.
Should You Buy the 2024 Volkswagen Atlas or Atlas Cross Sport?
The 2024 Volkswagen Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport are attractive, spacious, and powerful SUVs that offer a lot of value for your money. They have been updated with new design, technology, and safety features that make them more appealing and competitive. They also have two engine options, four trim levels, and a variety of colors and packages to choose from. Whether you need a seven-seater or a five-seater, the Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport can accommodate your lifestyle and budget.