MINI Cooper. The name evokes nostalgia, charm, and fun. For over six decades, the iconic British brand has been delivering agile and stylish cars that stand out. But times are changing, and so is MINI. The company has recently unveiled its new generation of 3-door models, featuring both electric and gasoline engines.
The Design: Simplicity and Character
The 2024 MINI Cooper C and S retain the classic proportions and distinctive front grille that make them instantly recognizable. However, they also introduce some fresh and modern elements, such as new LED headlights and taillights, wheel designs, and color options. The new models also feature a three-color gradient roof finish for the Favoured trim level, adding flair and personality.
The new MINI Cooper C and S interior is minimalist and elegant, with high-quality materials and digital innovations. The 9.4-inch OLED infotainment system dominates the dashboard, which runs on the MINI Operating System 9. This system allows the driver to access various functions and features, such as the MINI Experience Modes, which adjust the ambient lighting, sound, and display according to the mood and preference of the driver. The new models also offer a digital instrument cluster, a head-up display, and a wireless smartphone charging pad.
The new MINI Cooper C and S offer plenty of space and comfort for the passengers and their luggage. The trunk capacity is 7.4 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 28.2 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. The seats are also adjustable and supportive, and the cabin is well-insulated from noise and vibrations.
The Performance: Power and Efficiency
The 2024 MINI Cooper C and S are powered by two efficient gasoline engines with a choice of three or four cylinders. The Cooper C base model has a 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine that produces 154 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque. On the other hand, the Cooper S has a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that delivers 201 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. Both engines are paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission that provides smooth and quick shifts.
The new MINI Cooper C and S also boast impressive performance figures. The Cooper C can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds, while the Cooper S can do it in 6.6 seconds. The top speed of the Cooper C is 130 mph, and the top speed of the Cooper S is 146 mph. The fuel economy of the Cooper C is 33 mpg in the city, and 44 mpg on the highway, and the fuel economy of the Cooper S is 30 mpg in the city and 41 mpg on the highway.
But the new MINI Cooper C and S are not just about speed and efficiency. They are also about fun and handling. The new models are equipped with a suspension and damping system designed to provide agile and responsive steering and a comfortable and stable ride. The new models also feature a MINI Driving Modes selector, which allows the driver to choose between Sport, Mid, and Green modes, depending on the driving situation and preference. The Sport mode enhances the throttle response, the steering feedback, and the exhaust sound, while the Green mode optimizes the fuel consumption and the coasting function.
The Safety: Protection and Assistance
The new MINI Cooper C and S are not only fun and efficient but also safe and reliable. The new models come with a comprehensive package of safety features and driver assistance systems that help prevent accidents and protect the occupants. Some of these features and systems are:
- Airbags: The new models have six airbags that deploy in case of a collision, including front, side, and curtain airbags.
- ABS: The anti-lock braking system prevents the wheels from locking up during hard braking, and helps maintain steering control.
- ESC: The electronic stability control monitors the vehicle’s stability and applies selective braking and engine power to prevent skidding and loss of traction.
- TPMS: The tire pressure monitoring system alerts the driver when the tire pressure is low, and helps avoid tire damage and blowouts.
- LDW: The lane departure warning system detects when the vehicle is drifting out of its lane, and warns the driver with a visual and audible signal.
- FCW: The forward collision warning system detects when the vehicle is approaching another vehicle or an obstacle too fast, and warns the driver with a visual and audible signal.
- AEB: The automatic emergency braking system activates the brakes automatically when the vehicle is in imminent danger of a collision, and helps reduce the impact or avoid the collision altogether.
- ACC: The adaptive cruise control system maintains a set speed and a safe distance from the vehicle in front, and adjusts the speed according to the traffic flow.
- RVC: The rearview camera system displays a live image of the area behind the vehicle on the infotainment screen, and helps the driver park and reverse safely.
- PDC: The park distance control system uses sensors to measure the distance from the vehicle to nearby objects, and warns the driver with a visual and audible signal.
The Verdict: A Great Choice for MINI Fans
The new MINI Cooper C and S are a great choice for anyone who loves the MINI brand and its heritage but also wants a modern and efficient car that offers a lot of fun and features. The new models combine the classic MINI design with the latest technology and performance and offer various options and customization to suit different tastes and needs. The new models are expected to arrive at US dealers in early fall, with the Cooper C starting at $24,500 and the Cooper S starting at $29,500. If you are looking for a simple, charismatic, and exciting car, the new MINI Cooper C and S might be the perfect fit for you.